Ayurvedic Hairgasm!



I absolutely loooooove Wednesdays! For about a year now, Wednesdays have been my Ayurvedic hair spa days - I look forward to them, revel in them and pamper my hair without feeling a shred of guilt. And Lord knows this Wednesday, I needed pampering after the kind of days I'd been having.

*Begin rant*
Sooo, the store/salon has been doing great since we opened a few weeks ago - a few teething problems but nothing out of this world EXCEPT, the BRAND NEW generator I got, decided it had a completely different vision for the store and it was on a mission to bring that vision to pass.

After it had gone off one too many times last Friday, I called the dude I bought it from and informed him it wasn't werking for me and we needed to do an exchange - luckily he accepts (come to think of it, he didn't put up too much of a fight! hmmmmm....he must have known exactly what I was buying right at the beginning!).

LASAA then seizes my roll up banner right in front of the store and  my male stylist decides he has to travel and doesn't show up for days.

As if generator, Lagos State Agency and staff problems weren't bad enough, my laptop does the unthinkable and crashes! Let's just say I've been 'baptized' into the realm of running a business in Nigeria.
*End rant*



By Sunday, I was gagging to get my fingers in my hair and looking forward to Tuesday night when the process begins. Tuesday night finally arrives and sitting cross legged in front of my TV, I pre poo my hair with my Brahmi Oil which I truly am in love with - this is one oil which instantly softens and straightens whatever kinks are in my hair - it's almost like some form of detangler.


Anyways, I always mix my powders the night before, particularly if I'm using Fenugreek in my mix. I do this because Fenugreek when mixed in liquid over night, produces a slippery substance which makes application much easier and smoother.



So in my mix was:
2 Tablespoons of Amla Powder - Strengthens hair at the roots while nourishing and conditioning hair
2 Tablespoons of Brahmi Powder - Helps with dandruff and conditions hair.
1 Table spoon of Maka/Bhringaraj Powder - Hair regrowth properties and conditions hair.
1 Tablespoon of Fenugreek/Methi Powder - Promotes hair growth, strengthens the hair and prevents hair loss.
1 Tablespoon of Hibiscus Powder - Thickens and conditions hair, promotes healthy hair growth.

I usually make a 'tea' with the hibiscus powder, strain it and then use it as the liquid for mixing my powders.




In the morning, I added 2 tablespoons of my deep conditioner (Cantu Naturals Deep Treatment Masque) a squirt of honey, a teaspoon each of Olive Oil, Coconut Oil Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Avocado oil; then a few drops each of peppermint and rosemary essential oils (these oils and honey are regular additions to ALL my deep conditioning treatments).



My mix is luscious and smooth at this point and I apply in sections to my oiled hair, making sure i get it on every strand while massaging into my scalp.





I  slap on a processing cap when done and leave it on for at least an hour, after which i rinse and co wash with my Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner (yum yum!), detangle my hair and finish with a nice cool rinse.

I had a bit of my mix left so i put it in a ziploc bag and stored it in the freezer - shall be used next week.



My hair is soo soft and my curls and coils are popping at this point. I whip up the Kimmaytube Ph balancing leave in mix ( 2 tablespoons each of \Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in Conditioner and Aloe Vera Juice; and 2 teaspoons each of Jojoba and Castor Oil) and section my hair, making sure I get it all nice and moisturized - usually when I use this mix, my hair stays softly moisturized for at least 2 days after which I refresh daily with my spritz mix.



I swear, if hair could experience the 'Big O' my hair had definitely been in the throes of a continuous multiple hairgasm for the past hour :) Since I was done at this point, I sleeked my hair into my very first puff (whoop! whoop!) and skeedaddled out of the comfort of my home and into the big bad world out there!


12 comments

  1. Wow. I just did the big chop today, 5 months post relaxer and I'm looking at your hair and wondering 'When would that be me?'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me Temitope, before you know it, you'll not only get to where I am now but go waaay past it. I big chopped May last year and here we are today!

      Delete
  2. Hey, Love this Indian mix. Your hair looks soooooo healthy. well done Kemi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love it - I absolutely love it too. Thank you so much for the compliment!

      Delete
  3. After the rinse, do you apply the mix with hair dripping wet or do you dry it a little?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bukola! I wrap a t shirt round my head for about 2 - 3 minutes first before applying my leave in mix. My hair will be wet but not dripping

      Delete
  4. Hi Kemi,

    It's been a while. Really loooooooving your hair. I've been toying with the idea of chopping my hair off - its pretty healthy but I just got tired of the regular touch ups. I touched up my hair just once this year...well once in March and then texturised last week but looking at your hair now I think I should just go for it and who knows, maybe mine will be rocking as much as yours is :)

    Cheers

    Yomi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yomi!! Been more than a while! Thank you so much dear - really appreciate the comments! Of course your hair will rock! You know it will! If I remember, you always had long thick hair - but really, chopping off is something you have to be comfortable with before taking the plunge - once it's chopped off, there's no turning back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pinned it up on Pinterest to help spread the word of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi KL! Was looking for some info on using shikakai powder as a ckeanser.but im not sure if its ok to add some peppermint tea water to the mix. Ive tried to check online but ive inly seen stuff on mixing other ayuverdic powders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Damilola! I'm sure you can use peppermint tea water - people tend to get very adventurous with their mixing - rosewater, coconut milk, hibiscus tea, black tea etc. I think the trick is trying different things and finding out what works best for you. Most people schooled in Ayurveda will say it is best to mix some of the powders together to get the best results - so you could start with Shikakai and then throw in a few powders as you go along if you want to . If not, try the peppermint tea water and other liquids till you find what's best for you!

    ReplyDelete